[Debian-eeepc-devel] squeeze: problem with cpufreq's governors

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Aug 30 12:34:06 UTC 2010

On 08/30/2010 04:10 AM, Johan Haggi wrote:
> Please update the page on wiki:
> http://wiki.debian.org/DebianEeePC/HowTo/Upgrade#Linuxkernel
>
> I have a eeepc 701 and after upgrade to squeeze (kernel 2.6.32-5-686) the
> only governor for cpufreq are performance and powersave, it is impossible
> to use ondemand&  conservative.
>
> Search on google give me the answer that the problem is in the switch from
> .29 to .30 and that "the kernel was wrong to permit on-demand frequency
> scaling before" with the module p4-clockmod (see
> http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=536183 for other info).

In other words: this processor doesn't support frequency scaling, so to
pretend it does (as the kernel used to) was wrong.  If you want
frequency scaling, buy a system with a processor that supports it.
There is no software solution to this problem, since the hardware just
doesn't do what you want it to do.