[Debian-eeepc-devel] how to read this EEEPC group without all the spam?

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Feb 3 13:56:57 UTC 2010

On Wed, 3 Feb 2010 15:11:23 +0200
Damyan Ivanov <dmn at debian.org> wrote:
> From the mailman help:
>
>   Use Defer to temporarily disable a rule.
>
> (iow, it defers the desision to later rules)

Ah.  I have misused it, then.  Will set back to Hold for now.  But now
I can't tell which rule triggered the Hold (not without examining all
of the headers of each message, which is too tedious to bother with).

> Or 'Reject', which would inform legitimate senders there is a problem
> (and the could tell us).

If we're absolutely certain a message is spam, I would rather Discard
to cut down on backscatter where the spammer has spoofed a sender using
a legitimate address, as Reject would do, however ...

> So 'Hold' for 'probably spam' and Discard/Reject for 'surely spam'

For now I'm going with the conservative route: Hold everything.  If
turns out to be too much of a burden for me to process held messages
manually, and I can't easily distinguish reason for holding a message,
I may later revise this just to Reject everything and accept the fact
that this will annoy some legitimate people with backscatter.

 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org