[Debian-eeepc-devel] Debian on the ASUS EeePC 1005PE

John A. Sullivan III jsullivan at opensourcedevel.com
Thu Feb 18 17:58:35 UTC 2010

On Fri, 2010-02-19 at 01:47 +0900, Ansgar Burchardt wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Guillermo Garron <guillermo.fedora at gmail.com> writes:
> >     3. I still have problems connecting the EeePC to my DSL modem.
> >     I can connect the EeePC to my other computer via Ethernet, but when I
> >     connect it to the DSL modem it does not work correctly: I can see
> >     incoming packages, but outgoing packages (DHCP, ARP requests) do not
> >     seem to make it to the DSL modem: The activity indicator there does show
> >     nothing in this case.  Windows has the same problem, but I think it
> >     managed to get an IP address once (it usually does not, same as
> >     Debian).
> >
> > Try adding a fixed IP, not using the DHCP, in your other PC check the
> > IP and mask it has, and put manually some in the same range to your
> > Eee, do not forget to also add a default route and a DNS server.
>
> I did already try to do so.  When I ping the gateway, I can see my
> computer sending ARP requests (via tcpdump), but there is no reply to
> them.  The activity indicator on the DSL modem also shows nothing.
>
> Regards,
> Ansgar

I have a 1005HA which I assume uses the same NIC chipsets.  I mostly
followed the Debian documentation for installing Lenny on the 1005
series.  I had previously downloaded the latest unstable kernel
(2.6.32-?) to a USB stick, installed the .deb from the USB stick and,
from there, I had Ethernet access.  I'm still fighting with WiFi but I
think that has more to do with the KDE tools - John