[Debian-eeepc-devel] another prerelease eeepc-live image ready for testing

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sat Jan 2 13:08:14 UTC 2010

Shawn,

Thanks again for testing.

On Fri, 1 Jan 2010 23:22:28 -0500
Shawn Lamson <shawn.lamson at gmail.com> wrote:
> sound (speaker channel) was at ~50%, so control with the Fn key combo did
> not make audio usable (only increases master channel).

Did you note that our instructions in the UsersGuide changed to indicate
the assumptions we make about other channel levels and how to fix them?

> DPI was 133x135 "out of the box"

We did nothing to change default DPI.  That's up to Xorg, and is
determined by whatever the hardware reports.  I can't think of anything
easy we could do here to adjust DPI, as we trust the hardware is
reporting reasonable values.  If you think there's a bug in Xorg, one
should be filed ...

> unable to boot or on AC battery (see my last email about PWR_CLOCK_AC=1
> in eeepc-acpi-scripts)

I guess we should blacklist 901c.  Does it have a
distinct /sys/class/dmi/id/product_name so we can distinguish it from
the 901?

> disabling WiFi via Fn key froze the box, as did resume from suspend...

We're working on that for eeepc-acpi-scripts 1.1.8.

> I would still say there should be a quick & easy "interface" way to set the clock
> via a dialog...

Since it's a demo and not intended for daily use, no, I don't think
that matters.  In a real install, you would be prompted for your
timezone at install time by debian-installer.  I don't want to reinvent
that.

> the size of this image was 238M, well below 256 ... you sure you published the
> correct one?

Yes.  USB key makers have a different idea of what 256M actually is.
They tend to use the decimal definition of 256M for some strange reason,
so image size is now just over 250,000,000 bytes, with only 6M to
spare.  We've trimmed out unnecessary kernel modules (not usable on any
eee hardware) and Xorg dri modules to save a lot of space.

 ,-.  nSLUG    http://www.nslug.ns.ca   synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
 \`'  Debian   http://www.debian.org    synrg at debian.org