[Debian-eeepc-devel] 1201N and lenny

Alan Jenkins sourcejedi.lkml at googlemail.com
Sat Jan 30 10:45:34 UTC 2010

> - why does the brightness not change when I plug/unplug the AC adapter ?
> Is there an option to change in /etc/default/ ?

The debian-eeepc scripts are intended to only handle eee-specific stuff.

Tools like acpi-scripts and laptop-mode-tools were originally created
before Linux gained a generic interface for backlight drivers.  You
could add it to the acpi scripts, but it couldn't be merged without at
least adding the usual hack to check whether a desktop power
management daemon is running first.

HAL supports both the original panoply of /proc backlight interfaces
and the newer generic interface.  I believe both the GNOME and KDE
"power management"  applets have an option to do this, probably
enabled by default.

Although I do have to wonder why anyone wants to do this :-P.
Personally I really like being able to have the brightness set
appropriately for the ambient light, and automatic brightness changes
just get in the way.  After all, if you want to save battery, you want
to find the lowest comfortable level, and that's often much lower than
the initial value.

Alan