[Debian-eeepc-devel] eeepc-acpi-scripts integration: please test

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Mon Jul 12 11:08:17 UTC 2010

On 12/07/10 06:34 AM, Luca Niccoli wrote:
> Actually, there are some things for which I feel the OSD is really
> useful, e.g. SHE.

Yes, I was just going to respond to your first post about OSD, although
my concern continues to be simply that if we kill it altogether and
don't provide a replacement for non-GNOME/KDE users, we'll have quite a
number of disgruntled current users to face when they upgrade.  It's
easy to omit things, but not quite so easy to take things away.

I wonder if instead we might split off the aosd-based notification
scripts into an eeepc-osd package.

> There's no other feedback to it, and to check the status you have to
> go see the content of two different files, which is kind of
> inconvenient.
> The same goes for gsm, camera and bluetooth toggling
> It should be pretty trivial to implement notifications via libnotify
> for them (as opposed to brightness and volume, which need quick
> refreshing which is non achievable with notify-send).
> This would better integrate notifications with the graphic environment
> and let us drop the aosd-cat and co.

Except for the aforementioned deficiency in non-GNOME/KDE environments.
Hence the need to continue to support aosd-cat until we have a replacement.

I did a brief survey of libnotify in Debian and see nothing that can be
easily disentangled from the desktop environments, so until a viable
alternative appears, why not do both?  Use notify-send to send our
notifications from eeepc-acpi-scripts and support the old aosd-cat
scripts in eeepc-osd (which we'll eventually kill once a lightweight
standalone notify daemon shows up).