[Debian-eeepc-devel] Scrolling using the keypad

Merciadri Luca mluca at swing.be
Tue Jun 1 16:20:07 UTC 2010

Ben Armstrong wrote:
> On 06/01/2010 11:49 AM, Merciadri Luca wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> I do not have a material way to scroll (i.e. a roulette to scroll) on my
>> Asus EEE 1000 HE, but I would like to be able to scroll in PDFs, web
>> pages, etc., using the keypad. It is possible with most laptops. Is it
>> driverly-possible with my EEE pc?
>>

> If by 'keypad' you really mean 'touchpad', yes:
>
> synclient VertEdgeScroll=1
>
> then move your finger up and down along the right edge of the touchpad
> to scroll.  Similarly, for horizontal scrolling:
>
> synclient HorizEdgeScroll=1
>
> see also http://wiki.debian.org/SynapticsTouchpad and the 'synaptics'
> man page.
I had even no idea of the existence of this client. I believed in it,
but, firstly,
# synclient VertEdgeScroll=1
gave me an apparently traditional `Can't access shared memory area.
SHMConfig disabled?'

Then, I modified my xorg.conf in consequence, i.e. I added the Synaptics
input device (I was astonished not to find it in my .xorg!):

==
Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier   "Synaptics Touchpad"
    Driver   "synaptics"
    Option   "SHMConfig"
==

relaunched X11, but I am still having the same message, whatever the
command (for vert. or horiz. scrolling). Why? What could I do?

Thanks.

--
Merciadri Luca

Do not triumph before the victory.