[Debian-eeepc-devel] Minimal X installation for 2Gb eeepc - what do I need?

Trent W. Buck trentbuck at gmail.com
Mon May 3 06:37:47 UTC 2010

Axel Beckert <abe at debian.org> writes:

>> StumpWM and Awesome are other ultra-lightweight options you should
>> consider.
>
> Not StumpWM. StumpWM is very similar to ratpoison WRT to key bindings
> and window management, but needs a complete LISP installation to run.

[Wandering off-topic...]

You can instruct, say, SBCL to produce a stand-alone stumpwm ELF binary,
at which point the CL runtime is no longer necessary.  SBCL will
automatically strip out any parts of the runtime that aren't reachable
(directly or indirectly) from the entry point.  In stumpwm's case it
probably won't strip out much, due to having direct repl access on C-t :
-- still, I wouldn't expect it to be significantly bigger than a xmonad
(which is typically statically compiled).

Still, for me both xmonad and stumpwm were noticably more latent than RP
(on the Eee PC 701's 630MHz Celeron), so I lost interest in.

> I'd rather recommend i3 which is a light-weight tiled window manager
> written from scratch which is modeled after awesome, ion, wmii, etc.
> with focus on maintainable code and working Xinerama support.

RP has had good Xinerama support for the best part of a decade, though
its NETWM/EWMH and RANDR support is sub-par :-)

PS: here's an old wrapper script I used to use to make stumpwm
auto-(re)compile itself, like xmonad does: