[Debian-eeepc-devel] how hot is hot? (no more fan)

jidanni at jidanni.org jidanni at jidanni.org
Sat May 8 01:04:40 UTC 2010

I have devised a scheme to workaround when one's EEEPC 702 gets stuck
thinking it is e.g., always 55 degrees C.,

I just have the fan spin minimally as it seems to usually be at a
reasonable temperature to the touch that way.

$ cat /etc/rc.local:
if test X$(cat /sys/devices/virtual/hwmon/hwmon0/temp1_input) = X55000
then /etc/init.d/fancontrol start
fi

$ cat /etc/fancontrol
#INTERVAL=10
INTERVAL=100
DEVPATH=hwmon0= hwmon1=devices/platform/eeepc
DEVNAME=hwmon0=acpitz hwmon1=eeepc
#FCTEMPS=hwmon1/pwm1=hwmon0/temp1_input
FCTEMPS=hwmon1/pwm1=/root/bogus_jidanni_temperature
#in which file I put 21000 so that the fan spins but minimally as my
# EEEPC can't give accurate temp readings without often taking out the battery...
FCFANS= hwmon1/pwm1=hwmon1/fan1_input
MINTEMP=hwmon1/pwm1=20
MAXTEMP=hwmon1/pwm1=60
MINSTART=hwmon1/pwm1=150
MINSTOP=hwmon1/pwm1=100

Hmmm, maybe I should just remove fancontrol and make it spin minimally
directly in /etc/rc.local .

Of course I never compute intensively so No Warranty, Don't do like me
else you might burn your computer, even if pleasanter on the ears.