[Debian-eeepc-devel] Scripts are not conffiles, should they be moved out of /etc?

Luca Niccoli lultimouomo at gmail.com
Tue May 11 16:46:32 UTC 2010

In trying to make eeepc-acpi-scripts to be compatible wit
acpi-support, I have to remove some scripts stored in /etc/acpi
Since these are marked as connfiles (I reckon they are automatically
marked because they're in /etc/), it's kind of bothersome to do it.
I think that we should move scripts in some directory like
/lib/eeepc-acpi-scripts or /usr/share/eeepc-acpi-scripts or even in
/usr/share/acpi-support/
If a user wants to change the behaviour of the script, he can copy it
somewhere and change the event in /etc/acpi/events.
Debian policy states that "In general, any script that embeds
configuration information is de-facto a configuration file and should
be treated as such", but I don't think this is the case, as all the
configuration is stored in /etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts.
My idea would be to remove the old scripts if they haven't been
changed, and leave them there if they have.
This will still mean that user changes won't be applied after upgrade
(the new event file will point to a different location) but at least
he won't have to write the script again.

Cheers,

Luca