[Debian-eeepc-devel] What is Super Hybrid Engine?

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Tue May 11 18:11:38 UTC 2010

On 05/11/2010 02:33 PM, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> sorry, if I ask in the devel list, but I think, this might be the right place.
> I am using an EEPC 1005HA, running KDE4.4.3, Debian/sid.
>
> My question:  What is the S.H.E. for?

this looks like a reasonably good summary:

http://forum.eeeuser.com/viewtopic.php?pid=545146#p545146

    Power saving: low voltage to cpu, low fsb = low cpu frequency
                             = Less heat and power consumption
    Super performance: higher voltage to cpu, high fsb = high cpu frequency
                             = More heat and power consumption

Conventional CPU frequency scaling controlled by cpufrequtils (on those
processors that support it - only the Atoms do, not the Celeron M) does
*not* change the FSB, but rather changes the CPU frequency directly.
SHE, on the other hand, changes the FSB speed and therefore also the CPU
clock speed.  So neither one takes precedence.  They operate together.
Think of SHE as manipulating a ratio that multiplies the frequency as
set by cpufrequtils (and tools like it).