[Debian-eeepc-devel] eeepc-acpi-scripts integration: please test

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Wed May 12 16:44:42 UTC 2010

-=| Luca Niccoli, Wed, May 12, 2010 at 05:39:17PM +0200 |=-
> On 12 May 2010 15:39, Damyan Ivanov <dmn at debian.org> wrote:
>
> > No reason to Conflict/Replace/Break $self, I guess? Is there a problem
> > with a normal upgrade?
>
> I think so, since the new version depends on acpi-support, the latter
> needs to be installed, but it can't, since the old version conflicts
> with it.

Debian packages are installed/upgraded in multiple stages that handle
such situation cleanly. I dropped Conflicts/Replaces and everything
went fine.

> In this way, the old eeepc-acpi-scripts is first removed, than the new
> > True. Ideally, toggling of wireless (and everything else) should
> > be
> > done by the kernel. I think things are moving in that direction, at
> > least the kernel does its job on model 901 and our scripts are used
> > only for notification.
>
> I submitted #581312
> I'm working on a simple script that should work with decently recent
> kernels - with or without rfkill-input.
> I'm afraid of the quirks of rt2860 though, and since I've changed my
> card with an atheros (best 20$ investment you can do on a 901; ath9k
> has reached an amazing level of functionality on pci-e cards) I can't
> test them.

There are no quircks required with recent kernels. And supporting
older (Lenny) kernels is pointless, as the hardware is not well
supported there anyway.

Here are the results of my tests (901, sid, latest kernel from
experimental):

* For working Fn+F2 one needs a running power manager. No surprise,
  I guess.

* All other hot-keys work just as before

* Closing the lid turns off the screen, but doesn't lock the display
  nor suspend the machine. I have gnome-power-manager running. This is
  quite a showstopper for me.

* Moving the actual scripts out of /etc makes them inconvenient to
  customize. For example, I don't want the 'Wireless ...' message,
  only the 'Wireless ON/OFF' one. We had no problems with them in /etc
  before.