[Debian-eeepc-devel] eeepc-acpi-scripts integration: please test

Damyan Ivanov dmn at debian.org
Wed May 12 21:24:23 UTC 2010

-=| Luca Niccoli, Wed, May 12, 2010 at 11:03:02PM +0200 |=-
> On 12 May 2010 18:44, Damyan Ivanov <dmn at debian.org> wrote:
>
> > Debian packages are installed/upgraded in multiple stages that handle
> > such situation cleanly. I dropped Conflicts/Replaces and everything
> > went fine.
>
> Mmm, my first try w/out Conflicts: went bed, but I didn't have the
> preinst script to remove the configuration files as well.
> I'll remove Conflicts: and Replaces: then.
> I wonder if files that have been changed should be moved out anyway,
> not to wreck havoc when acpi-support gets installed.

Renaming to foo.dpkg-old should be fine?

> > There are no quircks required with recent kernels. And supporting
> > older (Lenny) kernels is pointless, as the hardware is not well
> > supported there anyway.
>
> So this part is useless?
>
>             # rt2860 needs to be idle when shut down
>             if lsmod | grep -q rt2860sta; then
>                 ifconfig wlan0 down || ifconfig ra0 down || true
>                 modprobe -r rt2860sta
>             fi
>             set_rfkill "$wlan_control" 0

Yes, on kernels 2.6.32-5 and up. The currentt squeeze kernel still
needs it.

> > Here are the results of my tests (901, sid, latest kernel from
> > experimental):
> >
> > * For working Fn+F2 one needs a running power manager. No surprise,
> >  I guess.
>
> Fn+F2 is the wireless toggle, why would one need a power manager to use it?

Sorry, Fn+F1 (Zz)

> > * Closing the lid turns off the screen, but doesn't lock the
> > display
> >  nor suspend the machine. I have gnome-power-manager running. This is
> >  quite a showstopper for me.
>
> Mmm, I suppose gnome-power-manager should handle it? I'll take a look...

Yeah, one would expect g-p-m to handle it, especial when there is
explicit configuration setting about it. May be a bug in g-p-m. I'll
try with a clean account.

> > * Moving the actual scripts out of /etc makes them inconvenient to
> >  customize. For example, I don't want the 'Wireless ...' message,
> >  only the 'Wireless ON/OFF' one. We had no problems with them in /etc
> >  before.
>
> You just need to copy the script wherever you want (sensibly in
> /etc/acpi/) and modify /etc/acpi/event/whatever

Keeping the copy current with the "main" ones is far from trivial.

> These scripts don't embed configuration variables or similar things,
> and treating them as config files makes updating them an unnecessary
> pain.

How so? There is a small handwork involved (vimdiff to the rescue!)
when upgrading *changed* scripts, but that's it. Users not interested
in modifying the scripts don't need to do anything.