[Debian-eeepc-devel] eeepc-acpi-scripts integration: please test

Luca Niccoli lultimouomo at gmail.com
Wed May 12 21:55:41 UTC 2010

On 12 May 2010 23:24, Damyan Ivanov <dmn at debian.org> wrote:

> Yes, on kernels 2.6.32-5 and up. The currentt squeeze kernel still
> needs it.

Then I'll try to keep it in some way.

>> > * For working Fn+F2 one needs a running power manager. No surprise,
>> >  I guess.
>>
>> Fn+F2 is the wireless toggle, why would one need a power manager to use it?
>
> Sorry, Fn+F1 (Zz)

Then no, you shouldn't need a power manager: if one is running,
acpi-support steps back; but it there is none, it should try to
suspend itself.
I'll look into it.

> Yeah, one would expect g-p-m to handle it, especial when there is
> explicit configuration setting about it. May be a bug in g-p-m. I'll
> try with a clean account.

It looks so.
If g-p-m is running acpi-support won't do anything.

> Keeping the copy current with the "main" ones is far from trivial.

Mmm?
I would expect it to be the same effort as now, you just have to
vimdiff your script with the new one in /usr/share/.
dpkg will keep the event rule untouched so you won't have to change it again.

> How so? There is a small handwork involved (vimdiff to the rescue!)

It is a pain from the package maintenance POV: since users are
entitled to change them and expect their changes be preserved, you
can't expect them to be up-to-date.
You must assume that they don't do what you expect them to do, and
this is a pain.
This other way, a user can set acpid to execute his own script, fine,
but our scripts do what they're supposed to.

Think about having to preserve changes that a user could do to a
python program in /usr/bin; wouldn't that be madness?
Cheers,

Luca

P.S.

This whole scripts-in-/etc/acpi thing has already caused big troubles:
IIRC acpid used to ship some of them, and people customized them,
until at a certain point the maintainer (or upstream maybe) decided
that they weren't supposed to be there and purged them.
People started shouting, and there was madness, and there was blood.
That's why I think that scripts should be keep far away from /etc/