[Debian-eeepc-devel] eeepc-acpi-scripts

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Fri Nov 12 10:17:12 UTC 2010

Glyn,

On 12/11/10 02:40 AM, Glyn Webster wrote:
> What I'm worried about (as a user) is which system responds to hot-key
> presses, etc. Or which one responds first.
>
> Could somebody add a README to the package that explains what happens?
>
> Or if I wasn't supposed to install eeepc-acpi-scripts over Gnome, could
> that be explained in the package description?

GNOME cannot, and probably never will, handle keys for eee-specific
features, so yes, you still need the package.  The eeepc-acpi-scripts
package is designed to work for *all* WMs/desktops, but we're in the
middle of resolving a few conflicts between whether the keys are handled
by our package by default or are left to the WM/desktop to deal with (or
for the user to configure by hand if the WM/desktop doesn't deal with it).

As I said earlier, in the next release, the conflict over the sound keys
is resolved. Those changes are present in git in the hotkey-only branch.
We're testing it at this time.  Meanwhile, just edit
/etc/default/eeepc-acpi-scripts and find the mute, volume-up and
volume-down key bindings.  Set each of these to 'NONE' as that is the
new default.

As for which keys are handled by the desktop and which should be handled
by eeepc-acpi-scripts, that is WM/desktop-dependent.  Increasingly, the
kernel driver, eeepc_laptop, is handling more of the hotkeys as normal
input events and passing them on to userspace to be dealt with in this
fashion.  However, not all desktops have default bindings for them (e.g.
LXDE does not, GNOME does).  I don't think we can exhaustively document
which WMs/desktops have bindings and which don't.  The best we can do
with the volume key problem is disable the sound key bindings (which are
the ones that are currently problematic) by default.  We already
document in /usr/share/doc/eeepc-acpi-scripts/eeepc-acpi-scripts.gz in
comments what each control is for and how to enable them.