[Debian-eeepc-devel] Monitoring fan control with collectd.

Glyn Webster glynwebster at orcon.net.nz
Sun Nov 14 00:41:51 UTC 2010

(I'm posting this here because it's something that could be useful to
developers.)

I've worked out how to use 'collectd' to collect temperature and
fanspeed statistics. It requires the lm-sensors, collectd and rrdtool
packages. I've attached the configuration files.

I run 'eeepc-rrd-graph.sh' (attached) when I want to check up on what's
happening. I suppose I could put it in cron. Working out how to graph
RRD data was the only painful part of all this.

*

I'm using 'fancontrol' on my netbook. (Settings file attached.) I've
noticed that my netbook's fan turns on at 1500RPM, once the temperature
gets to 55 degrees C, and never turns off. Either the settings mimic EEE
PC 701 hardware fan control very closely, or fancontrol is not actually
doing anything. I haven't experimented with it much yet.

--Glyn