[Debian-eeepc-devel] Monitoring fan control with collectd.

Santi Béjar santi at agolina.net
Mon Nov 15 00:13:57 UTC 2010

On Sun, Nov 14, 2010 at 1:41 AM, Glyn Webster <glynwebster at orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> (I'm posting this here because it's something that could be useful to
> developers.)
>
> I've worked out how to use 'collectd' to collect temperature and fanspeed
> statistics. It requires the lm-sensors, collectd and rrdtool packages. I've
> attached the configuration files.

Thanks!

> I run 'eeepc-rrd-graph.sh' (attached) when I want to check up on what's
> happening. I suppose I could put it in cron. Working out how to graph RRD
> data was the only painful part of all this.
>
> *
>
> I'm using 'fancontrol' on my netbook. (Settings file attached.) I've noticed
> that my netbook's fan turns on at 1500RPM, once the temperature gets to 55
> degrees C, and never turns off. Either the settings mimic EEE PC 701
> hardware fan control very closely, or fancontrol is not actually doing
> anything. I haven't experimented with it much yet.

It seems fancontrol configuration needs to be upgraded. You can run
pwmconfig as root, or here you have my config:

# Configuration file generated by pwmconfig, changes will be lost
INTERVAL=10
FCTEMPS= hwmon1/pwm1=hwmon0/temp1_input
DEVPATH=hwmon0= hwmon1=devices/platform/eeepc
DEVNAME=hwmon0=acpitz hwmon1=eeepc
FCFANS= hwmon1/pwm1=hwmon1/fan1_input
MINTEMP= hwmon1/pwm1=53
MAXTEMP= hwmon1/pwm1=60