[Debian-eeepc-devel] Disable old kernel version dependent options by default

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sun Nov 14 14:48:05 UTC 2010

On 14/11/10 10:41 AM, Luca Niccoli wrote:
> It still seems error prone to me.
> Maybe a WiFi_WORKAROUND (defaults to False) or something like that?
> Anyway, I second the removal of kernel version detection.
> After the release, kernels older than 2.6.32 (let alone 2.6.28) will
> be very rare on netbooks, so adding this small bump doesn't look like
> a big disservice.

Well, there is at least one possible use case with kernels later than
2.6.28, and that is to add a more visible notification via notify-send,
thereby handling the problem that the blue light serves double duty as a
wifi & bluetooth indicator for models that have both.

Also, it is *all* very error prone. If a user doesn't understand that
their WM/DE handles input events already, generated by any of these
keys, and goes ahead and tries to bind any of these keys as general
purpose assignable keys, they'll end up with them being handled twice
unless they go disable the WM/DE handlers.

I think the documentation I just committed will guide users well enough.
 Shall we leave it as is, or do you still strongly feel we need to
handle this case in a different way from the others?