[Debian-eeepc-devel] How to deal with the freeze?

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Wed Nov 17 11:29:58 UTC 2010

On 11/17/2010 06:50 AM, Luca Niccoli wrote:
> I'm using eeepc_laptop on 2.6.36 and I get hotkeys events too, so no
> problem here.

Oh, good. But still, can we count on it always to do so? I'll have to
talk to Corentin about this. While I was mulling this over yesterday, I
thought perhaps we could make the decision based on user input. That is,
the moment a hotkey is received, record it somewhere in a file and
thereafter, always pay attention to just the hotkeys. We could call this
mode of operation "auto" and make it the default if it works well. We
could also support two other values to the option: "hotkey" and "button".

> But I just realized that the new notifications don't work anymore, and
> shouldn't have in the first place.
> I'm sure they did when I implemented it, I really don't know why (I
> suspect it's related to #591813)
> Anyway, as it is the script just runs notify-send, while we should su
> to the X user.
> The problem is, I'm being bit by #598097.
> I'm trying to understand what needs to be done to talk to X with gdm3,
> but it's really a design hell.
> Cheers,

Ahh. Well, pay attention to Damyan's tip, then:

On 13/11/10 10:05 AM, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
> Before going there, maybe we could try using getXconsole from
> /usr/share/acpi-support/power-funcs ? There are other useful scripts
> in that directory, for example screenblank.

And as I've indicated before, if we can make communicating with X as
root go away completely, we should.