[Debian-eeepc-devel] How to deal with the freeze?

Luca Niccoli lultimouomo at gmail.com
Wed Nov 17 11:52:51 UTC 2010

On 17 November 2010 12:29, Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> Oh, good. But still, can we count on it always to do so? I'll have to
> talk to Corentin about this. While I was mulling this over yesterday, I
> thought perhaps we could make the decision based on user input. That is,
> the moment a hotkey is received, record it somewhere in a file and
> thereafter, always pay attention to just the hotkeys. We could call this
> mode of operation "auto" and make it the default if it works well. We
> could also support two other values to the option: "hotkey" and "button".

My idea was to wait until kernels that don't send button events are
old enough, and than make away with hotkeys. But it seems that kernel
developers didn't give us enough overlap, so your way it's more
sensible.

> Ahh. Well, pay attention to Damyan's tip, then:
>
> On 13/11/10 10:05 AM, Damyan Ivanov wrote:
>> Before going there, maybe we could try using getXconsole from
>> /usr/share/acpi-support/power-funcs ? There are other useful scripts
>> in that directory, for example screenblank.

getXconsole is buggy, but I'm sending a patch right now.
I have to find a way to detect the DBUS session too.

> And as I've indicated before, if we can make communicating with X as
> root go away completely, we should.

But this would mean giving up notifications.
Maybe it's the way to go for us, but it's really mind broken that
there isn't a good way for root to send notifications to the user.
Cheers,

Luca