[Debian-eeepc-devel] How to deal with the freeze?

Luca Niccoli lultimouomo at gmail.com
Thu Nov 18 17:30:54 UTC 2010

On 18 November 2010 18:00, Ben Armstrong <synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca> wrote:

> I've patched & locally built acpi-support and have locally built
> eeepc-acpi-scripts from master & installed them both, along with my
> patched 2.6.32 (adds eeepc-wmi.ko) but these are not working for me on
> 1001PX for a number of keys (volume keys, which I have configured to be
> bound to their handlers, and the touchpad toggle).  Haven't yet had a
> chance to figure out why.  I'll give you more details when I can.

The changes I've pushed are justto fix notifications, not button handling.
I wasn't sure how you meant the hotkey detection to be implemented, so
I didn't touch that.
Where should the file that records that hotkey events are being sent live?
If in /tmp/, the first time after every boot that the user presses a
hotkey is not guaranteed to work (the button notification could arrive
first, so the scripts would react twice to the keypress).
If in /var/lib, we risk keeping stale information in case the user
migrates to a new netbook.
Thinking again about it, the "quirks" approach based on module name
seems safer for now.
If new kernels do completely away with hotkeys sooner than we feel
ready to do the same, we can easily add them to the quirks list.
Cheers,

Luca