[Debian-eeepc-devel] Is there a right way to do fan control on the Asus 701 4G?

Glyn Webster glynwebster at orcon.net.nz
Tue Sep 28 23:17:12 UTC 2010

Is there a right way to do fan control on the Asus 701 4G?

I've found three suggestions, all leave me uncertain:

1) eee-fancontrol: is not in Squeeze and not supported
2) eee-control:    is meant for Ubuntu
3) lm-sensors:     'pwmconfig' says 'fancontrol' will not work

'sensors' shows me the temperature and fan speed, and
'echo 1 > pwm1_enable' and 'echo nnn > pwm1' work for me,
so I'm guessing there's something that can make use of those.

Also: I was previously using Eeebuntu with eee-control.
It let me put my laptop into an underclocked "powersave"
mode, is that possible under Debian?

--Glyn