[Debian-eeepc-devel] Is there a right way to do fan control on the Asus 701 4G?

Santi Béjar santi at agolina.net
Wed Sep 29 01:12:58 UTC 2010

On Wed, Sep 29, 2010 at 1:17 AM, Glyn Webster <glynwebster at orcon.net.nz> wrote:
> Is there a right way to do fan control on the Asus 701 4G?

I don't know if there is a rigth way but...

> I've found three suggestions, all leave me uncertain:
>
> 1) eee-fancontrol: is not in Squeeze and not supported
> 2) eee-control:    is meant for Ubuntu
> 3) lm-sensors:     'pwmconfig' says 'fancontrol' will not work
>
> 'sensors' shows me the temperature and fan speed, and
> 'echo 1 > pwm1_enable' and 'echo nnn > pwm1' work for me,
> so I'm guessing there's something that can make use of those.

I managed to get it working, see:

http://lists.alioth.debian.org/pipermail/debian-eeepc-devel/2008-October/001490.html

Basically you configure fancontrol with these settings:

# Configuration file generated by pwmconfig, changes will be lost
INTERVAL=10
FCTEMPS=hwmon1/pwm1=hwmon0/temp1_input
FCFANS= hwmon1/pwm1=hwmon1/fan1_input
MINTEMP=hwmon1/pwm1=53