[Debian-eeepc-devel] Help needed: eeepc kernel modules & eeepc-acpi-scripts for Wheezy

Ben Armstrong synrg at sanctuary.nslug.ns.ca
Sat Apr 23 18:54:57 UTC 2011

On 04/23/11 13:12, Hans-J. Ullrich wrote:
> I am watching your conversation now for a while. As i am using an
> EEEPC 1005HAG, I would like to know, what now is the required combination for
> using FN-keys and eeepc-scripts.

I don't think eeepc-acpi-scripts should do anything at all, actually,
except truly eeepc-specific things. And there is only one of those, that
I know of, which is S.H.E.

That being said, I do want to see all of the keys "just work" in Debian.

> At the moment this is not working any more
> here (after a fresh install), and I am now using:
>
> - kernel 2.6.38-2-686
> - eeepc-scripts-1.1.11
> - the workaround "acpi_osi="Linux"
> - kernel-module eeepc-laptop
>
> My WM is kde4. Without the workaround, eeepc-wmi is loaded, but with no
> success either. I get the same results as Andre already told.

Well, we've only half-implemented some things in eeepc-acpi-scripts
1.1.11, and as I said, need to sort out these other things first, about
what keycodes are generated by what keys before we decide which
package(s) then need to handle them.

> Maybe there should be a database for all the keycodes of the different
> netbooks. If so, I will be pleased, to send mine (if I can find out, how to
> create them).

In theory, all eeepcs generate the same keycodes for the same keys, so
this would be a boring database. :) Rather than this approach, we just
need a usertagged bug per broken case. Just do as Corentin has asked,
using showkey in a terminal to see what keys are sent, trying the latest
drivers and checking dmesg.