[Debian-eeepc-devel] Debug hibernate/resume failure?

Hans-J. Ullrich hans.ullrich at loop.de
Tue Feb 1 18:13:13 UTC 2011

Am Dienstag, 1. Februar 2011 schrieb Gerald Turner:
> Hello, I've been running squeeze/testing on my Asus 1000HE for well over
> a year, it's been solid - I've probably hibernated and resumed a hundred
> consecutive times over a six month period without ever shutting down
> (well... maybe had trouble with bluetooth not working after a resume a
> long time ago).  Big thank you to Debian Laptop/EeePC hackers!
>
> However since upgrading packages a few weeks ago, resume from hibernate
> no longer works.
>
> I need help figuring out how to debug it since I don't have much info to
> provide for a bug report at the moment.
>
> Suspend/resume from ram works fine.
>
> Hibernate/resume fails 9 times out of 10.
>
> I've taken out the 'quiet' parameter from grub, and during hibernation I
> see kernel console output about freezing, ticking away (takes a few
> seconds), and during resume I see similar messages about loading the
> image - once it reaches 100% it blurts out a few more lines of kernel
> messages and spontaneously reboots (without trying to resume again).
>
> I've tried adding 'no_console_suspend=1 panic=10' parameters to grub,
> hoping that it would pause 10 seconds before the reboot so I could read
> the full message.  No luck.
>
> The only boot/kernel/PM related packages I had upgraded a few weeks ago
> are:
>
>   grub-pc 1.98+20100804-13 -> 1.98+20100804-14
>   linux-image-2.6.32-5-686 2.6.32-27 -> 2.6.32-30
>   pm-utils 1.3.0-2 -> 1.3.0-3
>
> Oh one more thing out of the ordinary:
>
> After this upgrade (possibly during!), I wasn't very careful - I may
> have suspended to ram and let the battery drain.  A few days later when
> I booted up, grub complained it couldn't find the kernel and initrd
> images.  I entered grub commands manually and got it to boot (though had
> to use /vmlinuz instead of full path /boot/vmlinux-2..., otherwise "not
> found" - fs corruption?).  Once booted back in, ran 'dpkg-reconfigure
> linux-image-2.6.32-5-686' and 'dpkg-reconfigure grub-pc', grub problem
> solved - but this is also when hibernate-resume started failing.
>
> Any tips for having failed resume pause a moment before spontaneously
> rebooting, or any other debugging advice?

Hi Gerald,

I can confirm exactly the same behaviour on my EEEPC 1005HGO. After some
update, hibernation did not work any more - exactly as you described.

Someone pointed me to the kernel maintainers, but personally I think it is
more a problem with pm-utils. I changed from grub-legacy to grub-pc at the
same time, but reverting to grub-legacy let the problem not disappear. So it
might be pm-utils, as the kernel was not changed on my system.

Suspend-to-ram works perfectly, and, just as you described, when I am running
duspend-to-disk and want to restore it, it is starting, then suddenly
reboots/resests.

You seem more experienced than me, maybe you might want to file a bugreport?

Best regards

Hans