[Debian-eeepc-devel] EEEPC 1005HGO + ppp-2.4.5-4 + O2

Hans-J. Ullrich hans.ullrich at loop.de
Fri Jan 21 17:54:03 UTC 2011

Am Freitag, 21. Januar 2011 schrieb Paul Menzel:
> Dear Hans,

Hello Paul,

thank you very much for your response.

> > > were is that correspondence documented?
> >
> > Please see here:

> well, as far as I read it, they just said it is unlikely to be a bug of
> DebPkg:ppp since it has been around since July 2010 and no other
> regressions were reported.
>
> Also you did not reply to Adam’s message regarding umtsmon [2].¹

Yes, it seems, I am only one f the very few users, which is using squeeze and
the latest version of ppp. In fact, umtsmon does nothing but calling ppp with
some options. It is using the same syntax as pon does. Well, and why should I
blame umtsmon, when the trouble appears, as soon as I am changing to a higher
version of ppp? IMO it is the fault of ppp. I wrote to the developer directly,
but sadly got no response nor help from others, except blaming umtsmon.

I also told, pon and other programs related with the newer version of ppp did
not work, too, So, are them also buggy? I do not believe, as they also do the
same as umtsmon does : calling ppp with some options!

> > > If you have talked to upstream, I would suggest to submit a report to
> > > the Debian BTS using `reportbug ppp` and maybe add the Debian Eee PC
> > > group to the users [1].
>
> It looks like you only sent a report to the Debian BTS. So after
> verifying that `umtsmon` is not at fault, you should try to contact
> upstream directly to see if they can figure out the reason.

Yes, I wrote to the debian buglist, as IMO it is a bug. And got the hope, the
right people would read it. Or people woulkd point me to MY mistake or to a
way which might find the reason for it. I tried strace, but even doing so gave
me not the information, I was looking for.

> […]
>

> Thanks,
>
> Paul

Again, thank you very, very much for your response! I am really happy, that
someone answered at all! :)

Best regards

Hans