[Debian-eeepc-devel] EEEPC 1005HGO + ppp-2.4.5-4 + O2

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Fri Jan 21 23:27:50 UTC 2011

Dear Hans,

Am Freitag, den 21.01.2011, 18:54 +0100 schrieb Hans-J. Ullrich:

> > > Please see here:
> > >
> > > http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=610025
> >
> > well, as far as I read it, they just said it is unlikely to be a bug of
> > DebPkg:ppp since it has been around since July 2010 and no other
> > regressions were reported.
> >
> > Also you did not reply to Adam’s message regarding umtsmon [2].¹
>

> Yes, it seems, I am only one f the very few users, which is using squeeze and
> the latest version of ppp. In fact, umtsmon does nothing but calling ppp with
> some options. It is using the same syntax as pon does. Well, and why should I
> blame umtsmon, when the trouble appears, as soon as I am changing to a higher
> version of ppp? IMO it is the fault of ppp. I wrote to the developer directly,
> but sadly got no response nor help from others, except blaming umtsmon.

[…]

> > It looks like you only sent a report to the Debian BTS. So after
> > verifying that `umtsmon` is not at fault, you should try to contact
> > upstream directly to see if they can figure out the reason.
> >

> Yes, I wrote to the debian buglist, as IMO it is a bug. And got the hope, the
> right people would read it. Or people woulkd point me to MY mistake or to a
> way which might find the reason for it. I tried strace, but even doing so gave
> me not the information, I was looking for.

I agree with Julien [3] that your best chances to get this resolved are
to contact the debian-user or debian-user-german list where hopefully
more knowledgeable than me will be able to help. This problem is quite
off-topic to the Debian-eeepc-devel list.

(By the way, if you have another system where Debian is running with
this `ppp` version then you could compare the behavior or try some live
CD which uses PPP 2.4.5. But I doubt that it is Eee PC related. Also you
could send a log with `2.4.4rel-10.1` for comparison.)

[…]

Thanks and good luck for solving this problem,

Paul

[3] http://bugs.debian.org/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi?bug=610025#19
[4] http://lists.debian.org/debian-user/