[Debian-eeepc-devel] Asus EeePC 1215b sound does not work in Squeeze, works fine in Oneiric

Paul Menzel paulepanter at users.sourceforge.net
Sun Nov 13 18:52:45 UTC 2011

Dear Miguel,

Am Sonntag, den 13.11.2011, 19:21 +0100 schrieb Miguel Telleria de Esteban:

> I am struggling to make my brand new Asus EeePC 1215B produce any sound
> in a Debian Squeeze installation.
>
> Note:  I am with a 32bit installation.
>

> RESEARCHING (on Debian Squeeze)
> -------------------------------

please use the script `alsa-info.sh` [1] to get ALSA related
information.

[…]

> Next steps that I am trying
> ---------------------------
>
> *  Trying to adapt the compilation errors in alsa-source 1.0.24
>
> *  Backporting alsa-utils and alsa-tools from Oneiric
>
> *  Compile a 3.0.0 kernel (Oneiric) from the Oneiric or Sid.
>
> Of course any more ideas are welcome.

I suggest the following.

1. Submit a report to the Debian bug tracking system (using
`reportbug`). I think the Linux kernel package is the correct package to
file that issue against.

2. Try a live system. Debian offers live images [2]. I guess the just
released Fedora 16 should have the latest Linux kernel and ALSA stuff
too and they offer live systems too [3]. Store the output of
`alsa-info.sh` of these systems.

3. If it worked in item 2. mention that to your Debian bug report. If it
did not work, either contact alsa-devel [4] or open an issue in the
Fedora bug tracking system [5] since the Linux kernel bug tracker is
down currently due to the kernel.org compromise. Some upstream
developers work for Fedora/RedHat so I hope your issue will be fixed
upstream.

Oh, I read the subject line again and it is working in Oneiric. Please
always mention such stuff in the message again! I guess item 1. should
be enough then. One of the Linux kernel maintainer Ben Hutchings most of
the time gets a solution out really fast!

Thanks,

Paul

[1] http://alsa-project.org/main/index.php/Help_To_Debug
[2] http://live.debian.net/