[Debian-eeepc-devel] BYPASSED: booting wheezy on my ASUS 1000HE.

Hendrik Boom hendrik at topoi.pooq.com
Mon May 28 15:07:13 UTC 2012

On Sat, 26 May 2012 10:28:20 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:

> On Sat, 26 May 2012 00:45:21 +0000, Hendrik Boom wrote:
>

>> why, oh why does the choice of kernel determine the display manager.
>> Possibly something worse is screwed up.  Possibly my menu.lst is giving
>> me a different root directory?  I'll have to check.  If I've been
>> boting varying combinations of root directory and /boot partition,
>> things may have gotten truly borked.
>
> This does seem to be the problem.  Looking carefully, I find that the
> last few testing kernels (exactly the ones that were causing me trouble)
> were paired off with the root file system from ,y installation of
> squeeze on the same machine.  The one that worked was properly paired
> off with the root file system from testing.  It's not clear to me why
> this happened, but it would adequately explain why I ended up with a
> kernel/ xorg mismatch.
>
> Of course, in the course of trying to fix things, I ended up making
> changes inconsistently to the two systems, and it's not quite clear
> where the damage is at this point.
>
>> I'm thinking of backing up /home and reinstalling.

That's exactly what I did.  It's working fine now.

I do wonder why the different systems got mixed up.  I suspect that
update-grub was matching kernels and root filesystems incorrectly.  I
have no idea why it would have done this, and the opportunity is now lost
to investigate that.

The nnew alpha-version of the wheezy installer worked without serious
problems, though there were a few user-interface concerns, and it failed
t install X and its friends.  An attempt to to aptitude safe-upgrade
immediately after the installation made it propose to delete a huge
number of packages.  I vetoed that, did aptitude update, and asked it to
install xorg, and that get it to install lots of stuff so that everything
ended up working.  Of course I'll be fining an installation report soon.

-- hendrik