[Debian-hebrew-common] Re: gnome/kde seperation

Baruch Even baruch at ev-en.org
Sun Aug 21 15:30:42 UTC 2005

uri milman wrote:
> first of all  - great job! you're doing a very important thing.

Thanks.

> and to bussiness: the debian-hebrew package includes general, kde and
> gnome packages. I think that a seperation to 3 meta packages will give
> more flexebility.

What about user confusion, "which debian-hebrew do I need to install?",
We do want to cater to the newbie user. If he only needs to say, "I want
debian-hebrew" and he'll get Hebrew no matter what program he uses. A
more advanced user can install debian-hebrew and remove it and the
offending packages afterwards.

And from my tests the l10n packages do not pull the whole of
KDE/OOo/Gnome only a few libraries so there is no great burden to be
paid for this non-seperation.

Balancing those conflicting requirements (flexibility and
user-friendliness) is not easy, and our choices are not perfect, but I
think they are a good compromise. If you have concrete reasons why
seperating the package would make it better we'd be happy to listen.

Baruch