Fwd: [Debian-hebrew-common] libhdate uploaded

amos at amos.mailshell.com amos at amos.mailshell.com
Sat Dec 3 22:09:18 UTC 2005

On 12/4/05, Baruch Even <baruch.at.ev-en.org at amos.at.amos.mailshell.com> wrote:
> We can suggest, I did try, but most people are of the mindset that
> Debian is not for a newbie. I'm not interested in arguing about this things.

I can certainly understand your reluctance for wasting time in such arguments,
but just as an ammo for "one salvo" for the next time you bring this up (and for
others) -

IMO, Debian was hard for newbies to INSTALL because of its previous manual
installation process. Once it's installed it's just as easy to use as
any other system,
and because of its huge repositories accessible through multiple tools based on
APT it may be even easier to manage (Suse and Ubunutu might be examples of a
better polished desktop system, but there is basically nothing major
there that you
can't have in Debian, as far as I'm aware). I now run RHEL 4 as the
desktop at my
workplace and the best admin tool it has there are the ported
apt-(get|cache) tools.

Even more so - when considering the "download CD, boot, install"
process Debian's
selection of packages makes it possible to boot-strap the entire
process from a single
CD, here is a recent narrative from Shachar Shemesh which describes this nicely:
http://israblog.nana.co.il/blogread.asp?blog=35850&blogcode=2929490

Notice that all the latest "debian derivatives" including the famous
Ubuntu live CD, use
the Debian Sarge (stable) installer, and they are not considered as
"newbie hostile",
do they?

Keep up the excellent work.

--Amos
--
"[a grizzly] can tear through a tree like a Jewish
mother through self-esteem."           - The Simpsons