[Debian-hebrew-common] user-he package - a few issues for discussion.

Lior Kaplan kaplanlior at gmail.com
Fri Dec 16 18:39:39 UTC 2005

Hi all,

I'd like to discuss several issues about the user-he package (previous
name was debian-hebrew).

Current state:
The package has a script that adds Hebrew support for the system, and
makes the interface to be in Hebrew. The package itself depends on lots
of other packages related to hebrew (KDE, Firefox and OO.org hebrew
support packages) and other software like hsepll, geresh, katoob, mlterm...

The issues:
1. I'd prefer to default operation of the script would be to add Hebrew
support, but not to change the interface (Hebrew enabled system). This
mean that the script would reconfigure the locales to add he_IL.UTF-8
(but won't set it as the default), and set the Hebrew keyboard in the X
server.

2. Since the interface is left in English (or any other non Hebrew
language), I don't think the package should depends on packages that add
Hebrew interface only (mozilla-firefox-locale-he-il,
mozilla-firefox-theme-rtlclassic, kde-i18n-he, koffice-i18n-he).

3. I don't think we should depends on all of the hebrew-related packages
but only on the package we must have for Hebrew support. I think culmus
and ttf-freefont are the only ones.

4. All the other packages can be installed by script which simply do
apt-get install. For example: hebrew-packages.sh with kde as argument
would install kde-i18n-he, koffice-i18n-he, kkbswitch.

What say you ?

--

Lior Kaplan
kaplanlior at gmail.com