[Debian-hebrew-common] what is hebrew localized debian ?

kobi zamir kobi_zamir at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 22 09:13:04 UTC 2005

Hello,

what is hebrew localized debian ?
Is it just setting the locale to he_IL.UTF-8 ?

Current state:
--------------

I've installed a debian testing net-install and
entered hebrew as my language, when the install
finished I had:

system locale: POSIX
list of all locales: C, POSIX, he_IL, he_IL.iso88598,
hebrew

X with no keyboard and no panel applet for keyboard
settings.
GNOME/KDE desktops align to left (see mandrivas
screenshot, it is the same in debian):
http://ehad.berlios.de/newsite/shots/desktop/ehad2005-desktop-06.png

No spell checkers, _no english_ and no hebrew.
and no other hebrew related software installed.

What I want:
------------

locale: he_IL.UTF-8
locales: C, POSIX, en_US.UTF-8 (for non-hebrew
programs), he_IL.UTF-8, hebrew

X with (us,il) keyboard, and KDE/GNOME panels align to
the right.

Hebrew packages installed.

How to do this ?
----------------

a. If locales were not created at install time (they
will not be created until base-config is fixed):
On our cdd-install we can preseed the locales package
to create the locales we need and set the default
system locale.
If the system is already installed with en locale we
can create a script to do this.

b. The deb X-config does not create a (us,il) keyboard
for some reason, GNOME/KDE desktops are not aware of
bidi languages and do not reverse desktop layouts for
KDE/GNOME desktops (until this is fixed):
We can _not_ create a package that will override
X/GNOME/KDE settings because of debian policies, but
we can make a take-over script that the user will
knowingly run.

Comments:
---------

On the debian-hebrew wiki Tzafrir wrote that creating
such scripts is a bad idea, this is probably true.
we need a new way to solve this problems, waiting
until base-config, x-config, gnome and kde fix there
packages is not a good too.
any suggestions ? may be writing a less invasive
scrirpts, patches to base-config ?

p.s.

Tzafrir, did you make a debian-cdd using simple-cdd ?
can you give us to_do/not_to_do tips,
preseed/download/packages files ?

Why not use the simple-cdd from svn, you commented in
the wiki that it is not in sarge, is this a problem ?

The new versions of debian-installer (svn) support
bidi scripts (I think they do) is it a problem to use
the non-sarge versions ?

Kobi.