[Debian-hebrew-common] Debian-Hebrew web site need revision

debian-hebrew-common at lists.alioth.debian.org debian-hebrew-common at lists.alioth.debian.org
Sun Nov 27 00:52:11 UTC 2005

As an english (and hebrew) speaking  debian user,
I find it was hard to learn to do hebrew on debian,

I feel that it is unnecessarily difficult to learn how to do it.

It was also hard to learn how to develop a hebrew
application.

I am currently developing a hebrew application using gtk2-perl and it was a
long time till I understood how to write text in hebrew and to get the
unicode displayed.

i can now write using gedit and kedit and save the files. I can use
textwidgets in gtk2-perl to take in and display text.

but it was much to hard to learn it. a good web site that has basics like that
is important.

Why - when i write  to friends using kmail - do they say to me that the
subject headers are in hebrew, while the body of the mail they receive from
me is in hieroglyphics?

i have difficulty developing - i still cant even switch easily between hebrew
and english keyboard - I still must use the icon on my  kde desktop while i
would like to do alt-shift or something. I find the thread here

http://mirror.hamakor.org.il/archives/linux-il/06-2005/index.html#16062

entitled:
Keyboard shortcut to switching languages in Fedora 4 - is it possible? Amir
Binyamini (Sat 25 Jun 2005 - 22:29:07 IDT)

very cryptic:

read that thread - people allude  to what can be done - but no one gives a
clear recipe that works for kde desktop for instance.

I am mystified by the
Xkb options tab in the keyboard layout of control center? what do i select. I
randomly try things and then every  time i move my mouse the icon switches
between hebrew   and english - at just the wrong time! suddenly my own new
application is only able to take english input while it should only be in
hebrew!

help!

Mitchell Laks, New York