[Debian-hebrew-common] a package which includes Hebrew literature

kobi zamir kobi.zamir at gmail.com
Thu Apr 20 06:05:07 UTC 2006

Hello,

> what font & locale do I need to view this (the ben-yehuda site on debian)?

You will need Hebrew fonts, and a web browser, i do not know how well
text web browsers like lynks will show ms-word exported Hebrew html pages.

apt-get install user-he // meta package with all you need :-)
or
apt-get install culmus // hebrew fonts with nikud
apt-get install firefox / konqurer ... // web browser

http://benyehuda.org/

You will need a PANGO enabled browser to see nikud correctly,
some versions of some browsers do not have this support.

The root of the nikud problem is that ben-yehuda volunteers use mainly
ms-word to
write with, and they export html using this tool. ms-word export Hebrew html
poorly, making some poems unreadable on standards compliant
browsers.

May be there is an automated tool to convert
ms-word exported html pages to pure utf-8 texts
that can be viewed correctly with nikud on any browser ?

By,
Kobi

The ben yehuda project is writen using many word proccesors mainly ms-word.