[Debian-hebrew-common] Why is myspell-he extra?

Shachar Shemesh shachar at debian.org
Tue Oct 31 08:15:15 CET 2006

Baruch Even wrote:
> FWIW, the suggest keywords is only useful in dselect, apt-get completely
> ignores it
But "aptitude" will show a list of suggested packages before the
install. I don't know what synaptic does.
> One thing that was useful in the current setup was that we could simply
> tell folks to install user-he and they were assured to get a fully
> functioning system though it can have parts that they are not interested
> in.

As initial install, these days, is done with aptitude, I don't think
this is so much of a problem.
>> In effect, I would suggest moving all dependencies that mean installing
>> a big subsystem info "suggest". Small programs (such as fonts, hdate
>> etc.) should be "Recommends". I cannot think of any program that a
>> Hebrew user MUST have, and so our "Depends" should be almost empty.
>>

> I prefer to make sure that the user has the culmus fonts and Depend on
> it, this is the most important part for a functioning Hebrew system.

Unless it's non-graphical.
> Beyond that things should go to Recommends. I'm not too sure about
> making OOo and KDE Suggests. But I don't know how synaptic handles
> suggest.

It has a context menu (i.e. - right click) that says "mark recommended
for installation" and "mark suggested for installation". I don't know
what the default action is (I don't normally use synaptic, I just loaded
it so I can test the answer to this question).

Shachar