[Debian-hebrew-common] Why is myspell-he extra?

Baruch Even baruch at debian.org
Tue Oct 31 09:59:31 CET 2006

* Shachar Shemesh <shachar at debian.org> [061031 09:15]:
> Baruch Even wrote:
> >> In effect, I would suggest moving all dependencies that mean installing
> >> a big subsystem info "suggest". Small programs (such as fonts, hdate
> >> etc.) should be "Recommends". I cannot think of any program that a
> >> Hebrew user MUST have, and so our "Depends" should be almost empty.
> >>

> > I prefer to make sure that the user has the culmus fonts and Depend on
> > it, this is the most important part for a functioning Hebrew system.
> >
> Unless it's non-graphical.

If the system is non graphical the utility of user-he is dubious.

Regarding the effectiveness of Recommends and Suggests in aptitude and
synaptics I'll need to test it and get back to you.

One thing to consider maybe is to stop depending on
depend/recommend/suggest and provide a graphical program that the user
can run in order to adjust his system between the different options and
it can also say "you have openoffice installed, do you want Hebrew
support for it?", we could have a nice clippy graphics for this feature
:-)

Cheers,
Baruch