[Debian-hebrew-common] Why is myspell-he extra?

Baruch Even baruch at debian.org
Tue Oct 31 14:34:25 CET 2006

* Amos Shapira <amos.shapira at gmail.com> [061031 15:28]:
> On 31/10/06, Baruch Even <baruch at debian.org> wrote:
> >One thing to consider maybe is to stop depending on
> >depend/recommend/suggest and provide a graphical program that the user
> >can run in order to adjust his system between the different options and
> >it can also say "you have openoffice installed, do you want Hebrew
> >support for it?", we could have a nice clippy graphics for this feature
> >:-)
>
> Isn't it what debconf(7) is for?

No. debconf is for the configuration of a package, here we don't want to
configure a package but rather configure the system externally to the
packages that need to be configured.

We can instruct the user the steps or we can create a script that does
it for him, which is something that we do alerady in hebrew-settings
which is a script in user-he package. However, we currently also depend
on packages to get them on the system, and we dont take into
consideration what the user wants. We install OOo and KDE for him no
matter what.

We can take a different approach and have the user run a program of ours
that asks him what applications he uses and wants Hebrewized and we will
install them and configure them for Hebrew.

In any case, my aim is for user-he to help novice users, those who want
to configure a console only system can probably do it themselves, and we
do not handle the console anyway with regard to Hebrew.

Cheers,
Baruch