[Debian-hebrew-common] Why is myspell-he extra?

Amos Shapira amos.shapira at gmail.com
Tue Oct 31 21:01:29 CET 2006

On 01/11/06, Baruch Even <baruch at debian.org> wrote:
> * Amos Shapira <amos.shapira at gmail.com> [061031 15:28]:
> > On 31/10/06, Baruch Even <baruch at debian.org> wrote:
> > >One thing to consider maybe is to stop depending on
> > >depend/recommend/suggest and provide a graphical program that the user
> > >can run in order to adjust his system between the different options and
> > >it can also say "you have openoffice installed, do you want Hebrew
> > >support for it?", we could have a nice clippy graphics for this feature
> > >:-)
> >
> > Isn't it what debconf(7) is for?
>
> No. debconf is for the configuration of a package, here we don't want to
> configure a package but rather configure the system externally to the
> packages that need to be configured.

Yes I realized this after posting. Then I though of something similar
to your suggestion below.

The missing feature this brings up to me is a new kind of dependency
in the dpkg system - "depend/suggest/recommend on a package only if
another package is already installed" e.g. "depend on
firefox-locale-he only if one of the firefox versions is installed".
Maybe it can be called "secondary dependency"?

> We can instruct the user the steps or we can create a script that does
> it for him, which is something that we do alerady in hebrew-settings

Which, BTW, doesn't use debconf to configure it (like the "no timezone" flag).

> which is a script in user-he package. However, we currently also depend
> on packages to get them on the system, and we dont take into
> consideration what the user wants. We install OOo and KDE for him no
> matter what.

Yes, that's the trigger for this entire thread.

> We can take a different approach and have the user run a program of ours
> that asks him what applications he uses and wants Hebrewized and we will
> install them and configure them for Hebrew.

After I realized the problem with "just using debconf", that's what I
though about too, more or less.

> In any case, my aim is for user-he to help novice users, those who want
> to configure a console only system can probably do it themselves, and we
> do not handle the console anyway with regard to Hebrew.

Actually I found user-he useful in configuring the new style X11
keymaps, for instance.

--Amos