[Debian-hebrew-common] OT: Questions to Hebrew(?) song ריח תפוח ואודם שני.

Paul Menzel paul at hellersdorfer-jugendchor.de
Sat Jun 26 13:02:38 UTC 2010

Dear Debian Hebrew list readers,

sorry for posting to your list. I just do not know whom to contact. So
if you can point me to a better place to ask this question, please go
ahead.

My choir is singing the song ריח תפוח ואודם שני.

The German translation of the second line (transcription: kwar begani
pitach a smadar) is: In the garden the smadar is blossoming again.

This implies that smadar is some kind of flower. But my conductor could
not find out what flower the smadar is. I searched the WWW and found [1]
and [2] where it says that smadar is a hebrew name and means blossom. So
it looks like the translation is not correct.

Unfortunately I do not know Hebrew, so it would be great of you if you
could enlighten me/us? Do you also know more about that song? Like where
it comes from and if it is popular?

Thank you in advance,

Paul

[1] http://www.behindthename.com/nmc/jew2.php