[Debian-hebrew-package] Re: A Message To All Debian Aspell Dictionary Maintainers

Kevin Atkinson kevina at gnu.org
Fri Nov 11 19:07:51 UTC 2005

On Fri, 11 Nov 2005, Christoph Berg wrote:

> could you put the source for the aspell dictionaries also online? The
> versions distributed on the aspell site are only some kind of "meta
> source". I don't think that really counts as "prefered from for
> modification", and indeed patching the provided dictionaries isn't
> possible in a really clean way.

In the case that there is a source dictionary it should be available on
the net by following the Wordlist URL link in the README.  However, in
many cases the Aspell dictionary _is_ the source dictionary, there is no
other source.  In the cases where there is a source dictionary, the Aspell
dictionary may not be easily created from the source dictionary.  There
are several reasons for this:

   1) The source dictionary does not provide a way to create the Aspell
      dictionary package.   In these cases I generally create the Aspell
      dictionary manually.  If I have to do anything abnormal I try to
      document what I did in the doc/ directory.

   2) There is an Aspell target but what it creates has errors.  In which
      case I often modify the generated files manually to correct the
      problem.   Again, I try to document what I had to do in the doc/
      directory.