[Debian-np-devel] Testing apt repository

Otavio Salvador debian-np-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Wed, 21 Jul 2004 12:21:19 -0300

|| On Wed, 21 Jul 2004 00:41:51 -0500
|| Micah Anderson <micah@riseup.net> wrote:

ma> To celebrate the new apt repository, I thought I'd give it a shot by
ma> uploading a new patched version of postfix against 2.1.3-1 (latest in
ma> testing ATM), which provides the SMTP AUTH anonymized "Received:"
ma> header hack (and believe me, its a hack).

Why we need it? (I'm not questioning you changes only curious to know)

ma> I was able to upload it via dput, no problem, thats the good news. I
ma> was also able to insert that line into my apt/sources.list and update
ma> my sources from that source, and I see that package available when I
ma> do an apt-cache show postfix-tls.

So, it worked.

ma> What I dont know how to do is to actually install that package when
ma> I've already got postfix-tls installed. Apt only tells me that
ma> postfix-tls is up-to-date. I know you are supposed to be able to pass
ma> the -t option to apt, but I can't figure out what you would pass to
ma> get that. Anyone know?

It depends which distribution your package is target. To health of
users, experimental distribution doesn't have auto-installation
enabled and you need use -t to use it.

ma> Additionally, its somewhat annoying (for me), that the postfix package
ma> was merged together, so creating this patch builds every single other
ma> postfix element (postfix-mysql, etc.) and makes it available as well
ma> (and is uploaded to the alioth repository). If anyone knows how to
ma> deal with that, I'm all ears.

You can't change it.

Since you changed the source package and built it, it created all
binary packages of it.

One issue you can see is if this cannot be merged back to main
package. Did you provide the patch in BTS to maintainer give his
opinion about it?

--
        O T A V I O    S A L V A D O R
 E-mail: otavio@debian.org      UIN: 5906116