[Debian-np-devel] A question to Debian NP team

Jean-Christophe Babinet debian-np-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Fri, 18 Jun 2004 14:07:10 +0200

Hello all of you !

Guillaume told me about your work in Porto Allegre.
I'm impressed of the posibilities. I'm sure we'll get very soon a great
distrib.

I'm sorry not to be a technician, so I can't participate and help you. My
participation can only be at the level of the ideas.

In my mind, the big aim of the project Debian NP is to make an easy-to-use
Debian Distrib available for "all". "all" means persons and structures. "all"
means everybody that has a need of computer programs, a need that other
people also have (you don't work for a closed comunity like unemployed, or
martians, or blind people, or hair dressers, but for people that need the
basics proposed by a computer)

This means that the work of debian NP will be used mostly by people that have
no idea of what is a source code, but that only want the network to print a
document, to share datas, to surf on the web, to secure, etc .....

This brings me to two remarks :
1) those needs are not specific to Non Profit Organisations
2) people will need support

and an evidence : people will use debian NP distrib if they are confident in
the fact that it will fullfill their needs.

A company that makes business with renting bicycles, or selling rocking
chairs, or providing consultentcy in human ressources, or i don't know what,
will first ask : "i'm not a NPO, so why do you want me to use debian NP ?"

I precise that "make business" means to get a salary at the end of the month,
and not sell shares on the NYSE! :-)

I propose to quit the idea of making a distrib for a certain kind of
organisation (the NPOs), and go the the idea to make a distrib that fullfills
the basic needs of computer networks and desktops, and that is thought to
make support available (essentially updates and distant maintenance).

As Guillaume told you, with PraKsys, we experience to earn our wages by
replacing some closed windows by tools that one can open without asking mama
for autorisation:) We got this morging our twelveth (12th?) client, (we are
very proud) that is our first Ltd client, the 11 first beeing NPO's. I don't
need to tell you that this 12th client doesn't know that he'll get debian NP
distrib :(!

Think also to the companies that will offer support on Debian NP. I'm sure
they will not want to get the image of specific NPO supporters. Not that it's
a bad image, but it's a narrow image, with no relation to our reality : the
free softwares brings you more than what you need !

NP can mean "No Princip" or "New Past" or "Not Payable" or "Natural
Potential"..... (my miserable english does not help for the exercise of
finding a name:()

We could find a name that gives an idea of what is inside the distrib, and
that not limit the usability to a certain community, even if it is a very
nice one !

IMHO, i don't see the difference beween computer networks in companies and in
NPOs. In both cases, the computers are grey and heavy.... :)

How do you react to that ?

kisses from Montauban

Jean-Christophe