[Debian-np-devel] A question to Debian NP team

Jean-Christophe Babinet debian-np-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Tue, 22 Jun 2004 09:45:39 +0200

Le lundi 21 Juin 2004 20:23, Vagrant a =E9crit=A0:
> > > We want customization.  We want to go to people and say "I'm aware
> > > of your needs".
> > >
> > > It's like the difference between industrial, large scale made
> > > dresses and tailor made dresses: tailor made dresses fit very well
> > > on you; large scale made dresses fit most people, but not very well.
> >
> > This is exactly what we NOT do.
>
> i think what i'd like to see debian-NP be is something in between- like
> making a large-scale dress that will fit most people decently, but isn't
> such a specialized dress that you couldn't still tailor it for a more
> precise fit.  and to make it easy on the tailor so they can focus on the
> subtle, interesting details...
Yes !

> > there is something good in windows that I'd like we preserve with debian
> > np : the "ready to use" side.
>
> from what i've seen so far, this is exactly one of the goals of
> debian-np.  one of the main complaints about debian is that you have to
> tweak a lot of somewhat arcane configuration files and options to get it
> working well for the end-user.
Yes yes
> i think debian-np and other custom=20
> debian distributions are working to reduce or eliminate the need for
> customization, while at the same time giving the end-user (or
> administrator) the option to customize it as much as any conventional
> debian distribution...
>
> > > In my view, if you want to do a good service, you customize software
> > > for your users.  You give to NPs a distribution for NPs, and to
> > > businesses a distribution for businesses.
> >
> > What do you know about the differeces (in the use of their computers)
> > between NPOs and businesses ?
>
> i think there is huge overlap.  but there are some things that are
> different.
>
> at least in the USA, there are totally different record-keeping
> standards for non-profits and businesses- particularly around the
> exchange of money.
>
> many non-profit organizations have a huge volunteer database
There are not that many with huge data base. I'm sure 95% (if not 99%) of t=
he=20
NPOs have only some dozens of volunteers... And those that have thousands o=
f=20
volunteer are not those that need more help !
> holding=20
> contact information, volunteer hours, etc.  while businesses may have
> some overlap with employees and other business associates, there are
> definite differences in how you may need to keep track of it.
>
> some non-profits are intentionally not like businesses.  they dislike
> the aesthetic of the business world. =20
Many of our clients, NPOs, tell us that KDE icons are old fashion ! and the=
y=20
compare to what they know : windows ! And windows is surely associated to=20
business !
> people at nonprofits have=20
> expressed desire for their computers to be more "down to earth" or "less
> clean-cut" or even "a little dirtier looking".
>
> non-profit organizations aren't businesses, and vice-versa.  they are
> not interchangeable.  because they are not identical, they will
> inevitably have *some* different needs with computer software.
 On the contrary of you, I think that NPOs would like to administrate their=
=20
structures with more accuracy than businesses. And the difference you point=
=20
out, is only a soft more or a soft less. Nothing compared to the whole=20
distrib !

> > > Of course you want to have as much things
> > > as possible in common to ease support and development: that's where t=
he
> > > Custom Debian ideas comes into play.
>
> there's already significant collaboration between debian-np and
> debian-edu.  there are large similarities in the goals of the two
> projects.
>
> for the end-user sitting at a desktop, there are probably very few
> differences between business and nonprofit organization's needs.
That's the point ! I add that this is the same for servers.

> > Did you anwser to my proposal of changing the name ? Do you mean you
> > prefer not change ?
>
> i'm working with debian-nonprofit because i believe there are reasons to
> make a custom distribution tailored to non-profits. so i don't see any
> reason to change the name of the project just yet.
I'm sorry about that. I don't understand. As if you would like other people=
=20
see you and your job as specificly NPOs oriented. But it's not.

> i don't think that means someone can't make debian-business or whatever.
> i encourage them to do so.  and where our goals are similar, by all
> means, let's work together- being lazy in a good way.
yes yes !

Can somebody tell me what, in the debian NP, will be specific to NPOs ?

Bravo for your work !

Jean-Christophe Babinet