[Debian-np-devel] A question to Debian NP team

Benj. Mako Hill debian-np-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Fri, 25 Jun 2004 01:47:27 -0300

--oRfw0/ecc9PkJT67

On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 09:45:39AM +0200, Jean-Christophe Babinet wrote:
> Can somebody tell me what, in the debian NP, will be specific to NPOs ?

Outside of the targetted community and support and such, there are a
few applications like fundraising databases, member management
databases and conference organizing tools that are killer apps for
non-profits and probably not of too much use to other groups.

IMHO the point is not we are able to point to something and say "that
contains software that is *only* useful for non-profits" than it is be
able to point to something and say "that is *definitely* useful for
non-profits."  IMHO, it's even better if we can say that we know
because we've worked with them to make sure it is and Debian-NP
provides one great way to do that.

The stated goal of Debian is make the universal operating system. I
support this goal but I think that alone, this goal is not enough -- I
don't believe one size *can* fit all. I think that that our goal
should be finding ways to use the umbrella of Debian to make
customization easier (good) and more supported out of the box and to
further the big goal as we further the small goal (and to make other's
small goals easier to fulfill). A CDD (like NP) is a great way to do
this and to do it in the context of working with a community you care
about (which means it might even get done). :)

Regards,
Mako

--=20
Benjamin Mako Hill