[Debian-np-devel] Trying simple-cdd

Vagrant Cascadian debian-np-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Sun, 28 Nov 2004 10:26:44 -0800

--O3RTKUHj+75w1tg5

> I thought I'd give a try to the simple-cdd work that you've done
> vagrant to see if I could do a little QA and see if I can understand
> it a bit.

great!

> In order to test I decided to make a couple additions to a package
> selection, just use the debconf preseeing stuff you have there... and
> then I came to profiles, which I don't quite understand what these are
> and how they are different from just your basic package selection?
> Would it be correct to describe a profile as something that a user is
> asked about installing? Like we would create profiles such as:
>=20
> "Workstation (light)", "Workstation (Heavy)",=20
> "LTSP/Terminal Server", "LTSP/Terminal Client", "Server"=20

basically, yes.  though you probably won't want names that complicated.

but you won't catch me using LTSP :P

i.e. you could have the profiles:

workstation
workstation-light
lessdisks

and then you would create:

workstation.packages
workstation.preseed
workstation.downloads
workstation-light.packages
workstation-light.preseed
workstation-light.downloads
lessdisks.packages
lessdisks.preseed

the .packages files are the packages that get automatically installed
when you select that profile (chosen at the initial boot).

the .preseed files are the debconf pre-seeding questions that get
loaded for that profile.

the .downloads files are packages which get put onto the CD if that
profile is included at CD during build-time.

in CONF.sh:

profiles=3D"workstation workstation-light lessdisks"

this would then include any .preseed, .packages, and .preseed files
present in the simple_cdd_dir (which should be the directory you run
=2E/build-simple-cdd from).

> And then when the person doing the installation gets to that point,
> they are able to choose which of these they are installing? I think
> this is what is meant by profiles=20

you got it!

> Is there a way to automatically select specific profiles to increase
> automation?

use debconf pre-seeding in default.preseed:

simple-cdd simple-cdd/profiles multiselect workstation-light, lessdisks

(don't forget the commas)

> So, after all this, I decided to try doing a ./build-simple-cdd, I got
> these errors, did I miss something?
>=20
> mv: cannot stat
> /home/micah/debian/simple-cdd/simple-cdd.sarge.base_include': No such
> file or directory
> mv: cannot stat /home/micah/debian/simple-cdd/simple-cdd.task.cache':
> No such file or directory
> mv: cannot stat /home/micah/debian/simple-cdd/simple-cdd.task': No
> such file or directory
> cp: cannot stat debpartial-mirror.conf': No such file or directory

these should be fixed now, it was caused by not checking if a file
existed before moving or copying it.

live well,
  vagrant

--O3RTKUHj+75w1tg5