[Debian-np-devel] Trying simple-cdd

Micah Anderson debian-np-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Sat, 27 Nov 2004 18:36:53 -0600

I thought I'd give a try to the simple-cdd work that you've done
vagrant to see if I could do a little QA and see if I can understand
it a bit.

I followed the quick guide in the README (and made a minor typo
change), it is really quite good. It seems like the steps, as you
outline them in the document are:

1. Package selection
2. Debconf preseeding
3. Profiles
4. Boot params
5. D-I release
6. Build the CD
7. Testing in qemu

In order to test I decided to make a couple additions to a package
selection, just use the debconf preseeing stuff you have there... and
then I came to profiles, which I don't quite understand what these are
and how they are different from just your basic package selection?
Would it be correct to describe a profile as something that a user is
asked about installing? Like we would create profiles such as:

"Workstation (light)", "Workstation (Heavy)",
"LTSP/Terminal Server", "LTSP/Terminal Client", "Server"

And then when the person doing the installation gets to that point,
they are able to choose which of these they are installing? I think
this is what is meant by profiles (but I am tired from rescuing a
machine last night).

Is there a way to automatically select specific profiles to increase
automation?

So, after all this, I decided to try doing a ./build-simple-cdd, I got
these errors, did I miss something?

mv: cannot stat
/home/micah/debian/simple-cdd/simple-cdd.sarge.base_include': No such
file or directory
mv: cannot stat /home/micah/debian/simple-cdd/simple-cdd.task.cache':
No such file or directory
mv: cannot stat /home/micah/debian/simple-cdd/simple-cdd.task': No
such file or directory
cp: cannot stat debpartial-mirror.conf': No such file or directory
debpartial-mirror 0.2.8 - Partial mirroring tool for Debian - Fri,  2
Jul 2004 10:31:10 -0300
(c) 2004 Otavio Salvador <otavio@debian.org>, Henrique Vilela
<jacare@ucpel.tche.br>
This program is free software and was released under the terms of the
GNU General Public License

Making directory /home/micah/debian/simple-cdd/mirror/dists/sarge...
Geting http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/dists/sarge/Release done.

And then it seemed to proceed... and we shall wait for a while to see
what the outcome is :)

Micah