[Debian-np-devel] simple-cdd and freekbox3

Vagrant Cascadian debian-np-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Mon, 31 Jan 2005 20:40:47 -0800

--JI+G0+mN8WmwPnOn

> > >=20
> > > That sounds great but I don't think I'm the one to tdo this.
> >=20
> > ok, i could just make a tarball of the svn code and call it version
> > 0.1...  or i could spend a little longer and make it into a debian
> > package, with a little more flexibility configuration-wise...  thoughts?
> > anyone game for helping?
>=20
> I just killed my two biggest extra-work committments in the last week
> or so I can help.

excellent! :)

i will probably not have time till friday to work on it, though... we
should work out a time to chat on irc, perhaps?
=20
> > i hope to make a debian-installer CD with simple-cdd to install the
> > freekbox3. i've been testing simple-cdd with qemu and the freekbox3
> > package selections and debconf answers, but that doesn't handle all
> > the customized configuration files that freekbox3 has (i.e. stuff
> > that can't be configured via debconf).
>=20
> What are you using to do this sort of config? Just dropped in config
> files or something like cfengine?

oh, it's an ugly home-brewed scheme to overwrite a long list of
configuration files.  no matter how much i plead that we should've moved
away from that, nobody had the time to do anything differently. (yet
they did have the time to re-write this ugly system in python.... it's
available at cvs.freegeek.org in the freekbox3 project-
tools/takeover.py)

customized configuration files is certainly still one of the the hardest
issue to resolve...

hopefully all the defaults that can't be configured via debconf will be
tolerable for the debian-np desktop...

live well,
  vagrant

--JI+G0+mN8WmwPnOn