[Debian-np-devel] Shake it shake it! Shake and move it!

Enrico Zini debian-np-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Sun, 2 Jan 2005 21:38:50 +0800

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

Hello,

Happy new year!  Let's try to exist again in 2005!

I'm having a look at:
  http://www.debian.org/devel/debian-nonprofit/index.en.html

Problem #1:
  The list of other CDDs does not include debian-edu.

Problem #2:
  Doesn't mention the new ideas for Debian-NP:
    "Debian-NP aims to create a Custom Debian Distribution (CDD)
    designed to fit the needs of non-profits. Working within the Debian
    system, Debian-NP will select, highlight, and document a subset of
    packages within Debian. In addition to package selection, Debian-NP
    will customize packages in ways useful to non-profits =E2=80=94 all whi=
le
    working completely within the Debian system."
  should become:
    "Debian-NP aims to create one or more Custom Debian Distributions
    (CDD) designed to fit the needs of non-profits. Working within the
    Debian system, Debian-NP will select, highlight, and document a
    subset of packages within Debian. In addition to package selection,
    Debian-NP will customize packages in ways useful to non-profits =E2=80=
=94
    all while working completely within the Debian system."
  and as a last paragraph, before the "News" section, we could add this:
    "Considered the diversity and the complexity of Non Profit
    organizations, we also aim to be a base for further customizations,
    and we develop tools and documentation to allow every group to
    easily create their own Custom Debian Distribution according to
    their local needs."

Problem #3:
  We should also release a 0.1 version of simple-cdd, just by taking it
  as it is: it's useful!

Problem #4:
  About the News section, in http://people.debian.org/~enrico/talks/
  you'll see that I've been talking about Debian-NP in these events:
   - LinuxDay, November 27, 2004
   - Conisli, November 5, 2004
   - Firenze World Vision, September 25, 2004
  these could make news, together, of course, with the release of
  simple-cdd.

Problem #5:
  There was also the idea of merging Freekbox3 and Debian-NP, just as
  Skolelinux has been merged with Debian-Edu.  Should we go on that
  direction then?

Problem #6:
  About software selection, Allen Gunn (http://www.aspirationtech.org/)
  is about to launch some crazy wacky website just about selecting and
  sharing software and ideas.  Maybe we want to track that closely and
  just outsource this part to them: since we aren't doing much on that
  field, we could become active by delegation :)

Meta-Problem:
  Ok, that makes quite some item, which I can't bring on alone for a
  reason (I don't have permission to update the debian-np page) or
  another (there are things that I can't decide alone).

  Are you ok if I hammer you until all of these items are done?

Ciao,

Enrico

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8

--MGYHOYXEY6WxJCY8--