[Debian-np-devel] Shake it shake it! Shake and move it!

Benj. Mako Hill debian-np-devel@lists.alioth.debian.org
Thu, 6 Jan 2005 13:22:31 -0500

--tBhgiDt8dP1efIIJ

--enLffk0M6cffIOOh

<quote who=3D"Enrico Zini" date=3D"2005-01-02 21:38:50 +0800">
> Problem #1:
>   The list of other CDDs does not include debian-edu.

I've added them to the list. Their wiki-age seems to be spamified so
I've held on linking to this at the moment.

> Problem #2:
>   Doesn't mention the new ideas for Debian-NP:
>     "Debian-NP aims to create a Custom Debian Distribution (CDD)
>     designed to fit the needs of non-profits. Working within the Debian
>     system, Debian-NP will select, highlight, and document a subset of
>     packages within Debian. In addition to package selection, Debian-NP
>     will customize packages in ways useful to non-profits =E2=80=94 all w=
hile
>     working completely within the Debian system."
>   should become:
>     "Debian-NP aims to create one or more Custom Debian Distributions
>     (CDD) designed to fit the needs of non-profits. Working within the
>     Debian system, Debian-NP will select, highlight, and document a
>     subset of packages within Debian. In addition to package selection,
>     Debian-NP will customize packages in ways useful to non-profits =E2=
=80=94
>     all while working completely within the Debian system."

Fixed.

>   and as a last paragraph, before the "News" section, we could add this:
>     "Considered the diversity and the complexity of Non Profit
>     organizations, we also aim to be a base for further customizations,
>     and we develop tools and documentation to allow every group to
>     easily create their own Custom Debian Distribution according to
>     their local needs."

I've tweaked this is a little (but mostly stylistically) and set this
up as well.

> Problem #3:
>   We should also release a 0.1 version of simple-cdd, just by taking it
>   as it is: it's useful!

That sounds great but I don't think I'm the one to tdo this.

> Problem #4:
>   About the News section, in http://people.debian.org/~enrico/talks/
>   you'll see that I've been talking about Debian-NP in these events:
>    - LinuxDay, November 27, 2004
>    - Conisli, November 5, 2004
>    - Firenze World Vision, September 25, 2004
>   these could make news, together, of course, with the release of
>   simple-cdd.

You can write up one or more news stories dated as you like and send
these to me. I'll add these to the debian-www CVS. I've attached a
template (well actually, just an old Debian-NP news story) you should
be able to work with this.

> Problem #5:
>   There was also the idea of merging Freekbox3 and Debian-NP, just as
>   Skolelinux has been merged with Debian-Edu.  Should we go on that
>   direction then?

I think so. I'd love to involve the great work that they've been
doing. I'm not sure what the next steps are from here. Vagrant?

> Problem #6:
>   About software selection, Allen Gunn (http://www.aspirationtech.org/)
>   is about to launch some crazy wacky website just about selecting and
>   sharing software and ideas.  Maybe we want to track that closely and
>   just outsource this part to them: since we aren't doing much on that
>   field, we could become active by delegation :)

I think that sounds like a great idea.

> Meta-Problem:
>   Ok, that makes quite some item, which I can't bring on alone for a
>   reason (I don't have permission to update the debian-np page) or
>   another (there are things that I can't decide alone).

I think most of the things in this email are pretty
uncontroversial. :)

In terms of updating the debian-np website, it's just in the normal
debian.org webwml CVS. I told Enrico on IRC that I honestly don't
remember how I was added to that group (I've been doing little things
here and there for years in regards to the Debian website).

>   Are you ok if I hammer you until all of these items are done?

IRC is sometimes the best way to harrass me although I do read this
list too. If people can send me either patches against debian-www CVS
or just modified new files in the case new of news stories, I'm
absolutely happy to upload these. News stories are just single files
that I can just pop in.

Regards,
Mako

--=20
Benjamin Mako Hill
mako@bork.hampshire.edu
http://mako.yukidoke.org/

Creativity can be a social contribution, but only in so
far as society is free to use the results. --RMS

--enLffk0M6cffIOOh

<define-tag pagetitle>Debian-NP at World Summit on the Information Society</define-tag>
<define-tag release_date>2003-12-13</define-tag>
#use wml::debian::news
# $Id: 20031213.wml,v 1.2 2004/02/13 22:50:36 mako Exp $

<h2>World Summit on the Information Society</h2>

attendance, Debian-Nonprofit had an important presence at the <a
href="http://www.itu.int/wsis/">World Summit on the Information
Society</a> held in Geneva, Switzerland between December 10th and 12th
2003 and the preceding week.</p>

(LPI) coordinated the production of 3,000 Debian-NP Bootable GNU/Linux
Distributions. The production of the Debian-NP CDs was generously
funded by <a href="http://www.hp.com/">Hewlett-Packard</a>. LPI's
numerous delegates handed out thousands of Debian-NP CDs to attendees
of the conference from all over the world and from governments, civil
society, and the private sector.</p>

WSIS as a delegate of <a href="http://www.cpsr.org">Computer
Professionals for Social Responsibility</a> primarily as a
representative of Debian-NP. As a delegate, Hill had access to a wide
array of civil society, NGO, nonprofit, and governmental groups and
was able to discuss, present, and explain Debian-NP.</p>

<h2>WSIS? We Seize! Counter/Co-Conference</h2>

href="http://www.geneva03.org">WSIS? We Seize!</a> conference
organized by the Geneva03 collective. The conference catered to a
diverse group of free software advocates and developers, intellectual
property researchers and activists, independent and tactical media
makers, technologists, members of small non-profit organizations, and
others.</p>

talk and discussion period. Additionally, Benjamin Mako Hill gave a
workshop on making Custom Bootable CDs using Morphix that described
and presented the production of the Debian-NP bootable CD.</p>

<h2>Links:</h2>

<ul>
</ul>

--enLffk0M6cffIOOh--